Shahi paneer is a very popular Mughlai dish. The recipe of Shahi paneer includes rich gravy of yogurt and nuts with paneer cubes. Here, we are using the restaurant style of cooking, which makes it super delicious. We can have it with different options like roti, naan, plain rice, or any other kind of flavored rice.
INGREDIENTS (US CUP = 240ML)
- 1 ½ Cup Paneer cubes (approx. 225 to 250 grams)
- ½ Cup Curd (plain fresh yogurt)
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- ¼ tsp Red Chili powder (optional)
- ⅛ tbsp Turmeric (optional)
- ¾ to 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp crushed Kasoori Methi
- ½ tsp Salt (adjust to taste)
- 2 tbsp. Ghee or oil
- 2 to 3drops Kewra water (optional)
- ¾ cup Water
- 3 tbsp Cream (optional)
Spices used in Recipe of Shahi Paneer
- ½ tsp Cumin (Jeera or Shahi Jeera (optional)
- 2 to 3 Cloves
- 1-to-2-inch Cinnamon
Shahi Paste in Recipe of Shahi Paneer
- 12 whole Cashewnuts (Kaju)
- 8 Almonds (Badam)
- 3 Green Cardamoms (Elaichi)
- 1 Green Chili (you can skip)
- 1 Cup Onions Cubed (2 medium)
- 1 to 2 Tomatoes Cubed
Method of Preparation of Shahi Paneer
Step1. Heat one tablespoon ghee/oil in a pan.
Step2. Add cashews, green cardamom & almonds. Saute them (until light golden).
Step3. Now add onion cubes, green chili and tomato and fry them (until they turn transparent).
Step4. Cook the entire mixture to make onions soft or mushy.
Step5. You can add little water or oil if is too dry.
Step6. Let the mixture cool down completely.
Step7. Blend this using very little water to make a smooth puree.
Step8. Fry the paneer cubes lightly in ghee/oil.
Step9. Keep the fried paneer in hot water for 15 mins. This makes paneer cubes soft and spongy.
Process to Make Shahi Paneer
Step1. Heat pan and put oil or ghee.
Step2. Add Cumin (Jeera), Cloves (Laung) & Cinnamon (Dalchini).
Step3. Once the spices cooked, add ginger garlic paste and fry until it is cooked.
Step4. Now add blended paste (onion cashew paste), chili powder, garam masala, turmeric & salt.
Step5. Fry it for 3 to 4 minutes (until the raw smell goes away).
Step6. Beat the fresh curd well in a separate bowl until smooth (no lumps).
Low the flame completely and then add curd to the pan. Mix well.
Step7. Cook to make the gravy thick and starts to leave the sides of the pan.
Step8. Add ½ to ¾ cup water (if gravy is too thick).
Step9. Add paneer and cook for about 2 minutes on a low heat. Put 2 or 3 drops of Kewra water(optional).
Step10. Pour Cream and stir.
Step11. Add Crushed Kasoori Methi.
Step12. Garnish Shahi Paneer with Cream. And sprinkle some crushed Pepper for extra heat.
Tips for Delicious Shahi Paneer
- The Shahi Paneer gravy cooked properly once the oil traces over the gravy.
- Taste the salt in gravy and add more if required.
- To prevent overcooking of Shahi paneer, transfer immediately to a serving bowl.
- Mughlai gravies are normally made up with boiled onion and nut paste. But all kind of onion don’t go well for boiled paste. paste. So, it is recommended to sauté the onions which also helps to get the sweet flavor.
- Use fresh curd or yogurt.
- Use fresh and good quality paneer (it makes a lot of difference to the texture and taste).
- Use proper good smell gram masala or the whole spices to ensure the gravy tastes good.
- Skip the red chili powder and use the green chili instead. to retain the creamy whitish color and mild zest of the Shahi Paneer.
- Cook the paneer for only 2-3 minutes.
- You can use poppy seeds, melon seeds or a mix of nuts and seeds in place of cashew or almonds.
- For vegan dish add cashew cream or coconut yogurt and tofu.
- Mix a few tablespoons of cooked onion nut masala and yogurt then add it to pan (yogurt won’t split).
Important Points to Consider in Recipe of Shahi Paneer
- Typically, Mughlai recipes do not use tomatoes. However, North Indian restaurants use tomatoes.
- Use chopped tomatoes and cook till it turns completely mushy.
- Make sure the curd or yogurt is fresh not sour.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 391Calories from Fat 288
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 17g106%
Vitamin A 50IU1%
Vitamin C 4.6mg6%
Time taken in Recipe of Shahi Paneer
Prep Time 5Min
Cook Time 30Min
Total Time 35Min
This is very rich and super delicious option for any lunch or dinner party. Moreover, the Recipe of Shahi Paneer is very easy to follow.
You may Also Like to Read: Little Bites Muffins – Quick and Easy Baked Omelet Muffins Recipe for Pancakes – How to Make Fluffy Pancakes at Home Herb Cookie – Healthy and Tasty Homemade Cookie Topped With Herbs Latte Cookie – Pumpkin Spice Latte Cookie Recipe
Leave a reply