Pav Bhaji is a delicious and hearty dish, a combination of exquisite mixture bhaji(masala mixed vegetables) and soft butter-toasted pav, crisp onions, and lemon wedges. This home-cooked Mumbai pav bhaji taste incredible! It’s the simplest and an excellent option for a meal on busy evenings of the week. It’s a huge hit with its bold flavors! Make the most delicious pav bhaji at home by following my easy recipe instructions.
It’s not a secret that there are many delicious Indian street food items such as Dahi, Bhel Puri, Vada, Batata Vada and Vada Pav. However, it is distinctive for its intoxicating smell. It’s probably difficult for a majority of Indians to pass by an area without savoring the lure for it. No doubt, one of the most loved street food in India!
What is Pav Bhaji?
Pav Bhaji can be described as the name of an Indian fast food made up of a spicy gravy made of vegetables that is served along with soft, fluffy dinner rolls. The word ‘pav’ is used in Hindi and Marathi the word ‘Pav is a reference to “Bread roll” while ‘bhaji is a word that means ‘a veggie dish’. Because both served together, it’s called pav Bhaji.
About Pav Bhaji Recipe
It’s a simple, delicious and all time favorite dish, the perfect choice for dinner. Bhaji is a mix of cooked vegetables with Pav Bhaji masala. This is an exclusive spice mix that produces a magic. The hot bhaji is served with plenty of butter, and garnished by coriander leaf.
Then it is served with pav toasted in butter along with chopped onions and lemon wedges. You can then dip the pav into the bhaji and enjoy it.
There are variety of bhaji masala powder in the market that can be used immediately. Each has a distinct taste and the flavor. However, the fundamental ingredients are the same. However, the amount of ingredients may differ. Therefore, you can pick the one that you like. You can enjoy making your own Bhaji masala at home.
Recipe of Pav Bhaji Masala
Pav Bhaji masala can be made at home using following ingredients. First roast the mentioned spices, blend them in jar. Keep the powdered masala in air tight box and then use it as needed.
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 tbsp of cumin or jeera
- 1 teaspoon pepper corn
- 1/2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 3 red chilies
- 1 inch of cinnamon
- 3 – 4 cloves
- 1/2 1 tbsp amchur
Making Pav Bhaji – Stepwise Process
Rinse, peel and cut 3 medium or two bigger potato cubes (about 300g). Clean 1 cup cauliflower florets (optional). Rinse 1/2 to 3/4 cup green peas. If you wish, you could also make use of one medium-sized carrot (Half cup chopped).
To make masala, chop 1 medium onion ( 3/4 to 1 cup chopped) 2 large tomatoes ( 3/4 to 1 cup chopped) 1/2 bell pepper ( 1/2 cup chopped) and 1 green chilli. Make 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste. Put all this aside.
- Add the cauliflower, potatoes, carrots and peas (optional) to the pressure cooker or pot. Add 11/2 cups of water, just enough to cover the vegetables.
- Pressure cook for one to two whistles at a medium heat.
- After the pressure has released, let the lid open. Vegetables should be soft cooked. Mash them thoroughly.
How to Make Bhaji?
- Cook 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon of oil inside a saucepan.
- Add ¾ to 1 cup diced onions. Saute until onions turn translucent.
- Add 1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste as well as one green chilli. Cook until the aroma is delicious. Make sure not to burn.
- Add half cup of chopped bell pepper. Fry for two to three minutes.
- Add 3/4 to 1 cup of chopped tomatoes, and one teaspoon of salt. Stir fry until tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Add one teaspoon of chilli powder, and 1-1/2 tablespoons Pav Bhaji masala powder. If you’re making it for children you can avoid adding chilli powder.
- Mix well, and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add the boiled and the mashed vegetables. Add 1/2 – 3/4 cups additional water for its consistency.
- Mix well and cook for a few minutes to bring the flavors of masala. Test the taste and add more salt if you wish. It is also possible to add additional chili powder now to give a brighter color. For more flavor, you could add more Pav Bhaji masala, if you like.
- Add 3/4 tablespoon kasuri methi. Once it is at the desired consistency then add the chopped leaves of coriander. Turn off the heat. Cool it down a bit and add lemon juice prior to serving.
- Slice the pav horizontally while with one edge left. At a low heat cook 1 tablespoon butter over a pan. Mix a small amount of masala powder with it.
- Place the pav on butter and toast it for about 1 to 2 minutes until the edges are slightly crisp.Be careful not to overdo it, as the spice powder can get burned. It is possible to do the same with the other side by putting more butter to the pan.
Sprinkle with coriander leaves, lemon wedges, and chopped onions. Add more butter to the hot pav bhaji. Serve with onions and butter.
Questions/Answers – Pav Bhaji
How do I get the red color?
Street vendors often give color to the pav Bhaji. However, you can get the same color by taking 10 de-seeded Kashmiri Red Chilies with 1/4 cup of hot water until they become soft. Blend the chilies until they are smooth. Mix this in with bhaji masala when making. This adds a brighter hue to the dish.
What else can I add instead of Pav Bhaji masala?
If you don’t have Bhaji Masala, you can use garam masala, coriander powder, and chili powder. While the flavor may not be as good, it’s still tasty.
What is the composition of Bhaji masala?
Pav Bhaji Masala is made with a variety of spices including Coriander seeds green cardamoms and cumin, the black variety, Fennel seed cinnamon, red chilies cloves, amchur (Mango powder).
Which is the best Pav Bhaji masalas available in market?
I strongly recommend creating your own Pav Bhaji masala recipe at home since it takes only 10 minutes. You can also use a ready-made one from the supermarket for convenience. You can try MDH, Everest & Tata Sampan. You’ll need to alter the amount depending on the spice levels.
Suggested Links: How to Make Tasty Chicken Biryani - Secret Ingredients Step Wise Try Out 6 Easy and Quick Homemade Sweets Recipe This Easy Recipe of Idli/Dosa Batter - Make Perfect Batter at Home
Leave a reply