As a beauty editor, my experience includes thousands of trends. One of such trends are Gel Nail Extensions and I would really love to try it. However, it’s not possible to try everything which is so fast-paced and unpredictable. I didn’t realize this was possible until very recently. Let’s just say that I was intrigued by some of the Instagram photos. But, before I booked an appointment, I had some questions.
I was particularly concerned about the gel extensions. All it takes to find out more about their somewhat unfavorable reviews in Google search. For my own health and the well-being of others, I asked the experts. Continue scrolling to see if these are really as bad as for Nails they seem. You can also see Gel Nail Extensions and Get Nail design inspiration.
What are Gel Nail Extensions?
Experts say Gel Nail Extensions are a category not a single technique. They explain that these can refer to many types of extensions. It can be a Gel-Covered Tip, a Sculpted Extension, or an LED Polygel Press-on Extension. They can be used to lengthen nails.
What is the Difference Between Gel Extensions and Acrylics?
Gel Extensions might sound very similar to acrylics. But, the application is what makes it different. Gel is a viscous liquid that hardens in the presence UV or LED light. Unlike it, Acrylic can be described as a liquid activator or acrylic powder. It air dries. The main difference between liquid activator and solidifying substance is “how it becomes solid.”
Acrylics are more appealing due to their aesthetics but there is risk of damage. On the other hand Gel Nail Extensions look natural and are less harmful. They are very easy to use and require little drilling.
How Long They can Last?
Nails educators say Gel Nail extensions can last as long as Acrylics, but regular upkeep is important. These Nail enhancements should be kept in good condition for at least two to three weeks, according to them.
Gel Extensions are Really Bad for Nails?
This was the number one question I had. They are often criticized. Moreover, many people, even non-nail professionals, have propagated the myth that these products can damage nails. But, this is not true. The damage can sometimes occur. However, most of the time it depends upon the client who takes care of it.
How to Maintain These Enhancements?
- Regular salon visit is important.
- One should replace or fill Enhancements every 2 to 4 weeks, depending on how fast you your nails grow.
- Do not let the extension grow past the nail bed.
- Never pick or peel ever.
- Any damage that occurs can usually be traced back at maintenance (or lack thereof).
- Remove the nail polish properly, using a harsh process can cause damage.
- Avoid damage to your natural nails by not picking or peeling. Make sure to go to a professional who is reputable.
Can We Use Regular Nail Polish on Gel Extensions?
Regular nail polish can be used on Gel extensions. Use gel polish, which lasts longer and is the best choice.
Some Gel Polish for Gel Nail Extensions:
- LeChat Gel and Lacquer set in Peach of My Heart
- Cirque Colors Nail Polish for High Society
- Smith & Cult Nail Polish Color Me Curious
- Perf Floss Gloss Nail Polish
- LeChat Nail Polish, Splash of Teal
- LeChat Gel- and Lacquer Set Vanilla Cream
- Floss Gloss nail polish in Con Limon
- Smith & Cult Nail Polish, Fade the Sun
- Essie Expressie Quick Dry Nail Polish in In The Time Zone
- OPI Nail Lacquer In That’s Hula Loarious
- Sally Hansen Miracle Gel Bordeaux Glow
- Olive and June Nail Polish in Honest & True