Carrot Pickle is a kind of pickle made up of carrots, and more vegetables of your choice. Carrot pickle recipes are very easy and simple.
What is a Pickle?
Pickle is just like a normal dish where small pieces of fruits and vegetables, are mixed with oil, and spices. To keep it for a long period of time and to get a sharp, strong taste add vinegar and salt.
How Did it Originated?
Pickling is the process to preserve foods in vinegar, brine, or another similar solution. It is one of the oldest forms of food preservation. The New York Food Museum believes that pickling originated in Mesopotamian cultures. Although its exact origins are not known, archaeologists believe that they pickled food back in 2400 B.C. Cucumbers from India were pickled in the Tigris valley several centuries later.
What is the Use of a Carrot Pickle?
Pickles are used as a condiment or simply eaten by themselves. They are delicious in both forms cooked or raw. Moreover, they can be a great snack option or a main course meal.
Different Ways You can Use Pickles:
- Eat straight from the jar as a cold and crunchy snack.
- Use for a sweet and salty flavor, make Ham-and-Pickle Rollups.
- For a Southern-style appetizer, fry pickle slices.
- Combine pickle dip with chips or crackers.
- Add Pickle slices to a burger to give a tangy taste.
- For a cold side dish, make a big Israeli salad.
- For a warm and comforting meal, make a Polish pickle soup.
- For a classic sandwich, grill a Cubano sandwich and add dill pickles.
- Paratha and plain Rice Daal are great choices.
Ingredients for Carrot Pickle Recipes
The ingredients of Pickled Carrot are:
- Raw Vegetables (of Your Choice) including Carrot
1. Raw Vegetables
- Carrot 200grm
- White Radish 200grm
- Chilly 100grm
- Ginger 100grm
2. Spices (Masala) for Pickled Carrot
- 2tsp Black Mustard Seeds(Kala Sarso)
- 1tspn Fenugreek(Methi)
- 1tspn Cummin Seeds(Jeera)
- 2tspn Fennel(Sauf)
- 1tspn Coriander(Dhaniya)
- 1tspn Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1tspn-Carom Seeds(Ajwain)
- 1tspn Kashmiri Lal Mirch
- 1tspn Turmeric Powder(Haldi Powder)
- 3/4th cup Mustard Oil
- 2-3tbspn – White Vinegar
Method of Preparation of Carrot Pickle Recipe
- Gajar + mooli + ardak clean and slice, add salt keep it overnight.
- The next day remove extra water and let it dry in sun or fan.
- Roast all spices and blend them coarsely.
- Heat mustard oil (off the flame once smoke comes) and leave it to cool.
- Add asafoetida(1 pinch) +1tspn Mirchi powder+ 1tspnhaldi powder + coarse masala.
- Add Dried Carrot + White Radish (Mooli) + Ginger and add cut pieces of Green Chili and mix well.
- Add Carom Seed (Ajwain) and Asafoetida (Hing).
- Add White Vinegar.
- Mix Well and let it settle for 1 day. Your delicious pickled carrot is ready to serve.
Importance of Carrot Pickle
- Helps digestion: Fermented pickles contain probiotics (good bacteria), which are essential for good health.
- Combats disease: Antioxidants in cucumbers can help fight diseases.
- Help in muscle cramps: Pickle juice is a quick way to replenish electrolytes lost during exercise. Some athletes swear by it. Pickle juice might be slightly more effective than water for muscle cramp relief (according to the study). However, there is no proper evidence.
- Curb sugar spikes: Pickle juice, and specifically vinegar, can help maintain your blood sugar levels. Moreover, it is beneficial for those at high risk of developing diabetes.
1.How long do Pickled Carrots last?
Pickled carrot lasts to 6months or year. You need to just stir once in a while or you can keep it in sun for sometime(which is optional).
2.What does a Pickled Carrot taste like?
Taste of Carrot Pickle is same like other pickle. It is blend of both sweet and tangy and spices bring the difference.
You may also like to read: